You need a professional plumber that you can trust, someone who is licensed, bonded, and fully insured. At Mr. Rooter Plumbing, we are dedicated to serving the locals in Metro Vancouver by providing quality workmanship and superior customer service. We’re proud to be able to serve our community as trusted, local plumbers who get the job done right the first time.
How Mr. Rooter Plumbing Deals with Clogged Drains in Vancouver, BC
We use a variety of methods and tools to treat clogged drains. Homeowners might have some household remedies and tools to keep their drains healthy, but they often aren’t effective for stubborn clogs. Although the white vinegar and baking soda combination is a good idea to eliminate bad smells and clear the sink opening, you’ll still need professional assistance in the event of stubborn clogs deeper down the drain.
Here are some plumbing tools and solutions we use to tackle clogged drains. Our plumbing experts are certified to use the following:
- Augers: An auger is a long tool that is threaded into a drain so that the coiled end can be twisted into the obstruction. The clog is then pulled out to clear the block down the line. You can buy efficient toilet augers to use at home, but we use specialized augers that provide extra power and accuracy.
- Hydro Jetting: Using powerful water jets is another effective way to clean a clogged drain. Our plumbers provide hydro jetting services during inspection services to help clear a pipe’s interior from sludge, calcium deposits, and other debris. In fact, hydro jetting can get your drains cleaner compared to an auger. That’s why we take pride in our HydroScrub® Jetting technology, as it uses strong, pressurized water combined with an enzymatic drain cleaner to break down any grease or debris.
- Video Camera Inspection: Inspecting your drain with a video camera allows us to take a good look at your pipe’s interior. We’re able to determine its age, material, and condition, which helps us choose the best method and tool to unblock it and check for any damage. This means we don't have to guess what might be happening down there, and our plumbers can combine the use of this technology with their knowledge and experience to decide the best course of action.
What to Expect With Our Clogged Drain Services
When we come to unclog your pipes, we follow the process that we have designed to deliver the best customer experience. Every stage of the service that we offer is intended to leave you feeling satisfied with the attention that you receive. Just get in touch to request a job estimate or book an appointment, and a friendly plumber will soon arrive at your door.
Before we do anything, we always make sure to provide you with the cost of the work and get your approval. Once we have given you a quote, that's what you will pay. We don't ever raise prices at the last minute, and we work with flat rates for many services, so you know what you're getting and how much you're paying for it.
Our expert plumbers always take care to treat your home with respect and leave it looking exactly as they found it (minus any clogged drains). Vancouver homeowners who have a plumbing emergency, we’ll know you’re already dealing with dirty water. So we’ll do our best to avoid making it any worse. As well as cleaning up after ourselves, we explain the work that we have carried out before we leave. This is to ensure you understand what we did and any maintenance you might need to do to keep your drains and pipes in good condition.
All of our parts and services have a guarantee to protect your home. You can rely on us to ensure that everything is in working order. We choose only the best parts and hire the most skilled and experienced plumbers to provide you with top-level work that you can count on. Trust our Vancouver clogged drain experts to service your home.
The Mr. Rooter Plumbing Difference
Our professional team has years of training and knowledge, which they put to use when tackling issues such as a clogged drain. The service professionals at Mr. Rooter Plumbing know all about how your plumbing works and how to map out the best approach to eliminating your plumbing issues. In fact, many of our staff have been in the plumbing industry for decades.
Since Mr. Rooter Plumbing was founded in 1979, more than 230 locations have opened their doors to the public across North America. We've seen every plumbing problem under the sun, and our experienced plumbers can take care of any issues that you might have, from clogged drains to sewer backups.
The hardworking members of our team are carefully selected to ensure they have the skills and experience needed to work in your home or business. They are all licensed, qualified, and fully insured, so they’ll provide reliable services to property owners around Metro Vancouver. All of our service technicians are knowledgeable and committed to providing top service to all our clients. We offer friendly customer service and our skilled approach to plumbing, which has helped us build a loyal customer base.
24/7 Emergency Plumbing Service
Our 24/7 service means that you never need to wait any longer than necessary to have your drains unclogged. If you have an emergency at home and need clogged drain services as soon as possible, we will be there to help. No matter what time of the day or year you need us, count on us to prioritize your plumbing emergency.
FAQs About Clogged Drains
How Common Are Clogged Drains in Vancouver?
This depends on how well you care for your waste lines, which will ultimately show through your sewer line’s health. In the event of a clogged drain, residents should keep in mind a few factors, including how careful they are about what they wash down the sink or toilet. Some get clogged all the time, while others rarely have problems. If you experience frequent clogs, you might need professional assistance to solve the problem once and for all.
What Causes Clogged Drains?
Homeowners might find that the cause of their clogs is actually something that they put down the drain themselves.
Some of the most common reasons for a clogged pipe include:
- Hair - Hair is a common problem for bathtub drain clogs, as it sticks together with other substances, including soap residue and dirt.
- Soap - Soap scum is one of the things that is definitely meant to be washed away, but it will still cause issues. Traditional soap bars, in particular, cause drain blockages due to the fat or grease that they're made with. It’s typically combined with minerals in the water and leaves a hard residue that creates clogs.
- Paper Products - Tissue paper, paper towels, and wet wipes are all problematic clog causes because they are designed to absorb and trap moisture rather than disintegrate in water like toilet paper.
- Dirt - Excess dirt creates trouble too. If you spend a lot of time outside, you might wash off the dirt and mud once you get home. But this adds to the overall buildup inside your pipes.
- Food Waste - Food waste is a problem in the kitchen, even if you use strainers during dishwashing. Even when you scrape food off plates and pans before washing them, you’ll end up with small amounts of food particles going down the sink. Egg shells and coffee grounds are particularly problematic for your plumbing system and should always go in the compost or garbage.
- Garbage Disposal - Maintaining your garbage disposal is important, too, because it’s most likely set up in a way that allows wastewater to drain through it. If the unit is clogged, you could experience drainage issues, including a clogged dishwasher hose or a clogged air gap.
- Mineral Buildup - In areas with a hard water supply, mineral deposits from the water build up on your pipe walls. When this happens, you'll need professional clogged drain services like hydro jetting.
- Obstructive Objects - Some small objects that you accidentally wash down or flush down your drains are also troublesome. Even dental floss can result in a frustrating clog.
- Natural occurrences: Though it’s easy to blame bad household habits, a natural disaster can also trigger clogged drains. Vancouver has a high level of precipitation, increasing the risk of floods. An overwhelmed city sewer drain could push your household water back to your home and cause a sewage backup. That’s unless you have a backwater valve installation.
How Do You Prevent Clogged Drains in Vancouver, BC?
You shouldn’t be alone looking after your pipework. If you’re already taking the necessary steps to prevent anything from going down that shouldn't, as well as clear out your drains if they do start to get blocked, you’re doing a great job!
One useful thing you can do is to use drain guards. These will catch anything that shouldn't be going down your drain. They can be useful to catch small pieces of food debris in the kitchen and are also very useful in the bathroom to prevent hair from going down the drain. Some are designed to catch hair; you can simply pull them out and clean them off. There are also disposable hair catchers available, which you can drop into the garbage.
In addition to using drain guards to catch anything that might accidentally get into your drain, you can be careful about what you put down there. For example, if you're covered in mud, removing the excess dirt before getting into the shower is smart. Being sure not to flush anything or drop anything down the drain that shouldn't be there will prevent blockages.
In the kitchen, avoid tipping cooking grease and oil down the drain. Instead, put it in an empty can, allow it to dry, and throw it away. Create a compost pile from food, coffee grounds, and other organic waste. Not only will it protect your drainage system, but it's good for the environment too.
You can also take steps to flush out your drains regularly. Run or pour hot water down a drain after use to keep things moving. Baking soda and white vinegar, followed by hot water, will also keep your waste line clean and help to deal with odors too. An eco-friendly pipe cleaner is also a good preventative product to use for your household waste lines. However, be careful with harsh chemical drain cleaners, as these could damage and corrode your plumbing if used too often.
What Are Some Useful Household Remedies to Tackle a Clogged Drain?
Homes in Vancouver may look clean and tidy on the outside, but inside their plumbing, it is a different story. Before you decide to call a professional, there are various things you can try to tackle a slow drain issue. There are some tools and products that could help to clean out your pipes within minutes. With a few basics, you’ll be able to tackle a lot of problems on your own. However, if you can't sort the problem out yourself, call Mr. Rooter Plumbing to bring their professional plumbing equipment.
One or two plungers are always a good tool to have in your home. One to unblock toilets and one for any sink drains in your home. You need to be careful when plunging because it does use pressure to push the clog. However, it still remains the simplest solution that you need to tackle a clog.
Although our augers are more professional, you can also buy one from the hardware store. In Canada, as well as drain snakes that can also pull out clogs. It may take a bit of time to work, but it's still an effective method. You might need to try a few times to remove the clog effectively. If it's not working, our local clogged drain professionals will arrive with their professional drain augers and get the job done quickly.
Hot water is not only a preventative option for cleaning but also a good choice if you want to flush out grease or oil buildup in your pipes. Make sure that the water isn't boiling, as it could melt your PVC or ABS pipes. You may also run your hot water tap to dislodge any grease. You might have to do it a few times to clean the drain completely. But refrain from using boiling water as it can melt your pipe.
Got a Clogged Drain? Vancouver Can Trust Mr. Rooter Plumbing to Handle Your Blocked Drain Pipe!
Is your kitchen sink clogged? Are there odd noises coming from your bathroom sink? If you've tried to solve a plumbing issue like that yourself but haven't managed to clear your pipes, you need professional drainage services.
Call Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Vancouver to talk to one of our customer service representatives about your problem. We can get one of our local experts to you as soon as possible for all your professional drain cleaning service and plumbing repair needs.
Or learn more about our other popular plumbing services, including everything from a tankless water heater to water softener installation.