About Our Vancouver Sewer Backup Services
Whether you’re experiencing subtle warning signs or an emergency situation, having a qualified plumber handle this situation will give you peace of mind knowing that you will be in control in the future. If your plumbing fixtures are repeatedly backing up, it may be a matter of time until more serious signs show up such as an overflowing basement floor drain.
When providing a more detailed diagnosis and inspection of a sewer backup, Vancouver, BC plumbing technicians will proceed with the following services.
Plumbing Video Inspection
Our video camera inspection device consists of a camera with a light that’s attached to a flexible cable. Our Vancouver plumber will lower it down the sewer cleanout to access your sewer lateral. This way, we’ll be able to determine your mainline’s health and locate the clog via a signal-receiving device. If we suspect a sewage water leak, we’ll use additional plumbing tools like acoustic listening and thermal imaging devices to pinpoint the exact damage locations.
During many Vancouver sewer backup service calls, we rely on our HydroScrub® Jetting tool to unclog and clean drain pipes. Hydro scrubbing involves using pressurized water jets to cut through clogs and clean pipes’ interiors. While it’s a reliable tool for effective drain cleaning and sewer cleaning service, it also plays a huge role in preparing drain pipes for repairs.
There’s not always time for a detailed inspection if you have a basement flood and need expert assistance in removing waste water promptly. Often, the cause of your emergency situation is obvious. In the event of heavy rainfall, you may experience water running down your basement walls, whether it’s due to foundation cracks or damage in your perimeter drains. This problem can quickly escalate into something more drastic, such as a mainline clog. That’s when our Vancouver sewer backup technicians will take the necessary measures to stop this situation from getting worse. Actions may include using utility pumps to remove excess water and re-optimizing your sump pump if you have one in place.
Another potential accident that can happen is when your city's sanitary sewers fail and clogs up. Excess stormwater that can’t flow down the city sewer will back up into your private sewer line and cause an overflow in your basement. This severe plumbing issue can occur on a private property that does not have an effective backwater valve (also known as a backflow valve or sewer backup valve) in place.
Plumbing Preventative Maintenance
After a Vancouver sewer backup service, homeowners will get a detailed description of that unpleasant occurrence, along with inspection reports like damages incurred and potential repairs and replacements that they should consider. We understand how distressing plumbing disasters are and will do all we can to help get your plumbing back to normal. Additionally, we’ll offer you the following routine maintenance services and preventive measures that will minimize, if not eliminate future sewer backups. Vancouver, BC homeowners can protect their homes from property damage by hiring their certified plumbers for:
- Regular drain cleaning and sewer cleaning
- Sump pump installation and maintenance
- Perimeter drain inspection (also known as French drains or weeping tile)
- Backwater valve installation and maintenance
- Tree root removal or barrier installation
- Waterproofing basement, including securing basement windows
These protective measures are valuable services that we offer to our local community. It’s not unusual for Vancouver to have severe weather conditions that could trigger a series of flood damages. With preventive measures, you could prevent or limit extensive damage. We know for a fact that most Vancouver sewer backup insurance companies only cover a small amount that includes some water damage, and, often, the insurance deductible our customers have to pay is high. When you opt for our trusted sewer backup services, count on our professional plumber to go the extra mile to properly protect you and your sewer pipe.
Why Hire Mr. Rooter Plumbing For Vancouver Sewer Backup Services?
Mr. Rooter Plumbing has been dutifully serving customers since 1970. As a proud member of the world’s leading home service brand franchisor Neighborly, our team of experts is committed to providing the highest quality workmanship to our customers throughout the Vancouver Metropolitan Area. As a locally-owned and operated plumbing company, we only hire licensed plumbers that are bonded, insured, and know how to put a smile on our customers’ faces!
The Mr. Rooter experience is no myth! We value our customers from the moment they call, as we know we have what it takes to solve their problems. Our uniformed service technicians offer in-house consultations and plumbing inspection services, during which they will fill you in with details about their findings and offer you various options for the next move.
With our upfront pricing system, you won’t ever have to worry about any overtime fees because we check everything in detail before we write up the cost estimate. This way, we’ll avoid any unpleasant surprises.
Are you ready to schedule a convenient appointment time with your Vancouver plumber? For efficient sewer backup services, we invite you to make the right investment call our Mr. Rooter team
Frequently Asked Questions—Vancouver Sewer Backup
Whether you are suspecting a sewer line blockage or are completely new to this topic and want to learn more, we have gathered a list of questions from our local community. If you have any questions about sewer backups, Vancouver, BC plumbers are happy to answer them all!
What Are the Leading Causes of a Sewer Backup?
Vancouver property owners might be surprised to hear this, but there are two major categories for it. First, it’s related to your household habits. Inevitably, your household drains will collect plenty of sediments over time, leading your pipe walls to form a sludge that consists of toothpaste, soap scum, saliva, hair, mineral deposits, and food waste. Even when cleaning your drains with white vinegar and baking soda, you won’t find long-term relief from soft blockages.
Eventually, these problems will develop into stubborn hard blockages caused by washing fats, oils, and grease down the kitchen drain or flushing paper towels, baby wipes, cigarette buds, and feminine hygiene products down the toilet. That’s when telltale signs like slow drains, sewer gas smells, or gurgling will indicate that a sewer line blockage is in process. If you or other people in your household are guilty of washing these objects down the drain lines, we highly recommend that you call our team of Vancouver sewer backup specialists to help alleviate the stress in your plumbing system.
The other leading causes are natural and worth mentioning in more detail:
- Heavy Rain: As mentioned previously, it’s possible that your city’s storm sewer, despite regular maintenance, gets overwhelmed and fails. In that case, many private property owners are at risk of a sanitary sewer overflow and basement flooding. When heavy rain causes damage to your perimeter drains and leads to flooding, there is a high chance that larger debris will get caught in your sewer drain and trigger a sewer backup. Vancouver, BC homeowners who have received the necessary maintenance and installed protective plumbing devices will be less likely to be affected by rain storms.
- Soil Shifting/Home Settlement: When we talk about seismic activities, we refer to small earthquakes that tend to go unnoticed. But that doesn't mean that they are harmless. While PVC pipes underground are highly durable and very pressure-resistant, too much pressure and soil movement can lead to damage like cracks. A damaged sewer pipe will lose efficiency, leak water, and start to send signals to your house via clogged pipes. On the other hand, home settlement may be confused with shifting soil, but it’s more about the corners of your home settling evenly into place. While houses are made to settle this way, you can also get various problems with tilting and differential settlement during which the corners won’t settle evenly at all. This highlights a serious foundation problem that will show in the form of severe vertical wall cracks. In the worst-case scenario, this incident could cause damage to the pipelines that are installed underneath your concrete slab. Common issues include water backups and sewer backups. Vancouver BC homeowners will need a foundation specialist as well as a certified plumber team for the rescue.
- Tree Roots: It’s vital to protect your sewer line from tree root intrusion. PVC pipes and their joints are designed in a way so they’re flexible and are less likely to crack. But if they do leak water, they will attract the roots to grow toward them until they infiltrate the pipes and cause a clog.
Is a Vancouver Sewer Backup Covered by Insurance?
Typically, insurance policies cover burst pipe incidents; however, it’s rare that they include a sewer backup. Vancouver, BC insurance companies are experiencing a rise in flood-related claims and often quote sewer backup coverage separately. However, most insurance companies want to see that you take the necessary measures of maintaining your plumbing system, whether it’s scheduling routine maintenance services or installing protective plumbing devices to minimize damage risks. If you have recently suffered from a sewer backup, it’s still likely that your insurance will cover small water damages. Once you’ve had your plumber take care of your plumbing, we recommend that you get in touch with your home insurance company for a potential policy change. Provide them with your licensed plumber’s documentation of all the plumbing services provided to confirm that you have taken the preventative measures to protect your home’s plumbing system. Not only does this look good on paper and increases your chances of getting a good deal, but you can also check for potential tax credits.
Does a Wet Patch On My Lawn Mean I Have a Sewer Backup?
Local homeowners who experience a wet lawn on a sunny day may have fallen victim to a sewage backup unless it’s your front lawn where your water main connects to your home, then it could be either. Turn off your shut-off valve and call your emergency plumber for a more detailed investigation.
Are Older Homes More Susceptible to Backups?
Most likely, yes. Any homes that were built in the 1970s would have had plumbing upgrades by now and should be free from outdated materials like cast iron. Corroded cast iron pipes are the leading cause of Vancouver sewer backups and should be replaced as soon as possible.
Does A Backwater Valve Installation Really Protect Me From A Backup?
Absolutely, as long as you have it regularly inspected. These little devices are installed onto your sewer line and work with a sensory flap mechanism. When it senses the pressure of a forthcoming backup, it will close and stop anything from overflowing into your home.
For Expert Vancouver Sewer Backup Services, Hire The Pros at Mr. Rooter Plumbing!
Our plumbing emergency services are available day and night, throughout the week. But our Vancouver plumbers highly encourage Metro Vancouver residents to take action now rather than wait. Getting early sewer services will save you a lot of money and benefit your home’s plumbing in the long run.
Give our friendly customer service team a call and let us convince you!