Kitchen Drain Clogged? We Can Help
A clogged kitchen sink can put a real damper on meal preparation. It’s hard to keep your kitchen clean without a functional sink drain, for example. When your kitchen sink is stopped up, you need to act fast. Luckily, there are a few DIY tricks that can clear up most kitchen drain clogs.
Try these tips first before you call in a professional plumber:
Garburator Is Clogged
If you have a garburator, that’s the first thing to check when the sink stops draining. Here’s how to get your garburator going again:
- Carefully pull any remaining debris out of the garburator.
- Find and press the reset button on the side or bottom of the unit.
- Find the small opening at the bottom of the unit. Use an Allen wrench to turn the gears and force the disposal to grind through food bits lodged inside the blades.
- Turn the hot water on full blast and run the garburator to grind up remaining food particles.
Clogged Kitchen Sinks
If you don’t have a garburator, or if your garburator doesn’t seem to be the problem, it’s time to dig a little deeper into the pipes.
Here are some simple DIY steps for resolving clogged kitchen sink drains:
- Pour a kettle of boiling water directly into the drain.
- Use a sink plunger to loosen the debris creating the clog.
- Remove the P-trap under the sink, check it for a clog, and remove any gunk before reinstalling the pipe.
Preventing Kitchen Sink Clogs
Some folks do not realize that their kitchen habits can cause damage to their plumbing system. Most kitchen drain clogs can be prevented.
Follow these simple tips to avoid a clogged kitchen sink in the future:
- If you have a garburator, run it with hot water at least once a day.
- Never put bones, potato or cucumber peels, egg shells, coffee grounds, fish skins, or fruit rinds in the garburator.
- Don’t pour cooking fats or grease down the drain. Allow it to harden and dispose of it in the trash. Or pour off the hot grease into a can or butter container, diverting it from your kitchen sink.
- Use an enzyme-based drain cleaner each month to prevent buildup inside all your drainpipes.
Get Expert Help for Stubborn Kitchen Clogs
Need professional assistance with a tough kitchen clog? Your local Mr. Rooter helps homeowners with a wide range of plumbing issues, including clogged kitchen drains. When you find your kitchen drain clogged up, schedule an appointment online. Or call us directly at (855) 591-0128.