Do you find yourself saying, “My bathroom smells musty” more and more these days? You’re not alone! Bathrooms are, by nature, warm and humid—the perfect environment for mold and mildew to develop. But if your nose is telling you that it’s more than just an average day in the average bathroom, it could be something more than shower steam.
Why is my bathroom so musty?
The amount of water used in a bathroom, especially hot water, can lead to a constantly humid environment. It can be a challenge to clear the air and keep things dry. But if you smell something musty, it’s probably coming from the fungus that causes mold.
What’s the deal with mold?
Mold can be sneaky. It grows behind walls and inside cabinets. It can take hold in the folds of your shower curtain or behind towels, picture frames, or mirrors. It can build up on your tile grout and on your paint, inside your light fixtures and fan, and around your faucets, toilets, and bathtub.
Not only does it smell bad, but it can also be hazardous to the health and well-being of you and your family. Exposure to mold can cause headaches, runny nose, aching sinuses, fatigue, nausea, nosebleeds, and respiratory issues. And it’s not just the visible mold that’s the problem. If mold is disturbed, the spores can detach and become airborne. When this happens, it can make your mold-related health issues worse, as well as spread to other areas of your home.
What can I do if my bathroom smells musty?
Take action if your bathroom smells musty. It won’t get better on its own. In fact, the problem will only continue to grow and worsen. What can you do? Here are a few tips to try:
- Increase ventilation – improved ventilation can help dry out your bathroom after showers and baths, helping to reduce the humidity and thwart mold growth.
- Keep it clean – regular bathroom cleaning can help keep your bathroom smelling good while getting rid of the fungus that creates mold and makes it harder for mold to take hold.
- Use the right products – just like it’s important to wash your hands properly after using the bathroom, it’s important to use the right products to keep your bathroom clean.
- Squeegee shower walls – when you’re done showering, squeegee the walls of the shower to remove excess water and reduce humidity.
- Run the fan – when you shower or bathe, it’s tempting to let the bathroom get all steamy and warm. To reduce the chance for mold to start growing, run the fan during and immediately after a bath or shower.
Call in a professional
If your bathroom smells musty, you can take all the necessary precautions to keep it dry going forward. Contact your local Mr. Rooter to investigate leaky pipes and improve ventilation. Call (855) 591-0128.
If you suspect mold, we recommend Rainbow International for mold removal and abatement services. Just like Mr. Rooter, Rainbow International is part of Neighbourly’s community of home service professionals. You can trust Rainbow International for all your mold removal and home restoration needs.