Drain Cleaning Tips
Call Mr. Rooter Plumbing to Get a Clog Cleared!
A clogged drain can be more than just an annoyance—it can affect your life! When you can’t take a shower, use your bathroom, wash your hands, or clean your dishes, the result can be frustration and a delayed schedule. Don’t let a stopped-up drain ruin your day! Just call your local plumbing pros at Mr. Rooter® Plumbing. We’ll get there fast and clean your drain quickly so you can get back to your normal routine without further interruptions.
I’m Not Sure if My Drain Is Clogged—How Can I Tell?
There are a few telltale signs that your drain could be backed up, including:
- Water collecting at the bottom of the sink or bathtub and taking a long time to drain
- Water backing up out of a drain
- Unpleasant food smells in the drain / garburator
- Water on the bathroom floor or under the kitchen sink
- Hearing gurgling sounds in the pipes and drains
How to Fix a Clogged Drain
Before calling Mr. Rooter Plumbing, you can try fixing the clog yourself. A clog in your shower could be caused by hair or soap residue. It’s best to use a screen over your drain to catch these culprits before the go into the drain and cause a problem. If you have a drain screen, simply clean it out. If not, try clearing the blockage with a piece of bent wire. If this doesn’t work, try plunging the drain. You’ll need a brand-new cup plunger or a clean cup plunger used only for sinks. If your toilet is clogged, you’ll need to use a flange plunger instead of a cup plunger.
Then complete the following steps to try plunging a stopped drain:
- Let the water run into the sink or bathtub and fill it part way.
- For a double sink in the kitchen: Use a towel or rag to stop up on drain.
- For a sink in the bathroom: Use a towel or rag to stop up the overflow hole.
- For a shower drain: Use a towel or duct tape to stop up the overflow plate.
- Use a clean, new plunger to plunge the clogged drain.
- Plunge rapidly several times in a row, then remove the plunger quickly.
- Repeat several times as necessary.
Remember: It’s not a good idea to use chemical drain cleaners such as those sold in stores. These commercial products contain heavy ingredients that can actually cause corrosion in your pipes, leading to bigger problems down the road. If these do-it-yourself steps don’t work, call our friendly team of plumbing experts at Mr. Rooter Plumbing. We’ll be more than happy to help you out!
ExperiencetThe Mr. Rooter Plumbing Difference
Mr. Rooter Plumbing is a well-known and trusted brand that has been serving clients with excellence for 46 years. Our licensed plumbing experts know how to get the job done. We emphasize excellent workmanship. Our teams are clean, courteous, knowledgeable, and friendly. We’re always upfront in explaining plumbing problems, so our customers have all the information they need to make an informed decision. Plus, we operate under a simple policy: Same price, any time, any day. This means we’re always available when you need us, and we never charge additional fees for overtime or emergency services.
For additional information, or to schedule an appointment with Mr. Rooter Plumbing, call our team now at (855) 591-0128!