Get Our Top 5 Tips to Prevent Pipes from Freezing in Your Toronto home this Winter!
Did you know that pipes in your Toronto home may be at risk this winter? Did you know that regular plumbing maintenance ensures that you don’t incur unexpected and unnecessary costs?
We made this short article for Toronto Homeowners to help prevent a frozen pipe-plumbing emergency this winter.
Let’s face it, pipes made of any material whether it be plastic or copper, are susceptible to bursting as water freezes.
Our Toronto Plumbers have noticed pipes that are most exposed to the severe cold include swimming pool supply lines, water sprinkler lines, and outdoor hose bibs are at highest risk.
Knowing what areas are at risk of freezing is half the battle!
Other high danger areas include pipes that run against exterior walls with minimal insulation, or areas such as basements, crawl spaces, attics, garages or kitchen cabinets.
Your pipes are always in jeopardy from freezing in any winter, but with record low temperatures, avoid a messy catastrophe with these beneficial tips.
Here are our top five tips:
1. Turn off water supply to any exterior faucets. Remove any attached garden hoses and drain the faucets after shutting off the water supply. As water expands when frozen, it increases pressure in the plumbing system leading to costly repairs.
2. When going away, shut off the main water valve supply for the home and drain all faucets and flush all toilets.
3. Do not completely shut off the furnace when away. Temperatures typically below 15 degrees put your home at risk of burst pipes leading to a messy and costly surprise when you return home.
4. Un-insulated pipes under sinks near exterior walls such as in the kitchen or bathroom are at risk in the winter of bursting. Prevent this by opening cabinet doors to allow heat to get to these areas.
5. Identify areas such as basements, crawl spaces and attics lacking insulation. Adding insulation to both the space and around these pipes will maintain a higher temperature to ultimately prevent water damage.
We hope that you find this information helpful to preventing frozen pipe disasters. As always, regular maintenance and knowing what to look for will help protect your pipes from freezing.
Our cold Toronto winters can put your plumbing system at risk. If you are ever unsure about your pipes or need expert advice, contact Mr. Rooter Plumbing Toronto to set up an appointment to meet with a Toronto Plumbing and Drain Specialist. Contact us today by calling (416) 699-8623 today! We look forward to serving you.