Many sewer system issues start with clogged drains, where both your drain lines and the main drain are under a lot of pressure. Any waste that you try to flush will simply be pushed back. Our plumbers will use their video inspection camera to locate the blockage and plan a hydro jetting service. The problem is likely an accumulation of hair, food waste, and mineral buildup on your pipe walls.
Homeowners whose properties are surrounded by trees are most susceptible to tree root intrusion. Though PVC sewer pipes are resilient and durable, it’s not uncommon for shifting soil or nearby construction work to cause your main line to leak. Tree roots are always hungry for water supply; once they detect moisture, they will grow towards it. They are a common culprit for sewage backups in Brampton. With Mr. Rooter Plumbing’s HydroScrub® Jetting technology, we’ll use high-pressure jets to break through the roots and thoroughly clean the pipes. And to recover your main line’s functions, we may also suggest sewer repair methods that use trenchless technology.
Severe weather conditions like heavy rain typically cause a basement flood. If water is leaking down your basement walls, you likely have foundation cracks and overwhelmed perimeter drains, unable to handle that excess water. Furthermore, the city’s storm sewers might be clogged, and thus, it sends back all the wastewater to your household. If you have a backwater valve installed and/or an efficient sump pump, you shouldn't have a sewer backup in the basement unless these units are faulty.
Is Sewer Backup Affecting Your Home in Brampton?
A blocked sewer line or a sewer backup can significantly impact your home or business. But when it happens in your bathroom, the most frequently used room in the home, you will want it fixed sooner rather than later!
Let’s discuss the various parts that could cause your sewer backup to happen.
When the sewer line becomes blocked, water and waste cannot flow freely, which can cause a backup in the toilet. This can result in unpleasant odors, overflowing water, as well as the inability to flush the toilet correctly.
Malfunctioning Backwater Valves
A malfunctioning valve can also contribute to a sewer backup. Backup valves are installed in the sewer line to prevent sewage from flowing back into a building. If the backup valve is not functioning or it's broken, it will cause human waste to seep back up. This can create a health hazard as human waste contains harmful bacteria that can cause illnesses.
Clogged Toilet Drain
The drain of your toilet can become clogged due to the buildup of materials such as toilet paper, hair, soap, and other debris. This can cause a blockage that prevents water and waste from flowing freely, leading to a sewer backup.
Sewer Elements That Can Cause A Backup
- Main Sewer Line: The main sewer line is the large pipe that links your home's plumbing to the municipal sewer system. A blockage in the main sewer line can cause a backup in all the plumbing fixtures in your home, including the toilet.
- Sewer Cleanout: The sewer cleanout is a pipe that allows access to the main sewer line for cleaning and maintenance. If the cleanout is blocked or damaged, it can cause a backup in your plumbing fixtures.
- Septic System: If you have a septic system, a malfunctioning system can cause a sewer backup. Homeowners can expect this to happen if the tank is not emptied regularly. Plus, there could be damage to the tank or pipes or the system is not functioning correctly.
To prevent a sewer backup, it's important to maintain your plumbing fixtures and avoid flushing anything down the toilet that could cause a blockage. Regular cleaning and maintenance of the main sewer line and backup valve can also help prevent blockages and ensure they function correctly.
Sewer Backup Warning Signs
When experiencing a sewer backup, homeowners will know how messy and unpleasant it can be. Not only can it cause damage to your home or business, but it can also pose health hazards to those inside the building.
Here are some signs that you may be experiencing a sewer backup:
- Slow Draining: If you notice that your sinks, toilets, or other plumbing fixtures are draining slowly, it could be the water and waste are having trouble flowing through the pipes due to a blockage.
- Unpleasant Odors: Sewage backups often emit a foul odor that can permeate throughout the building. If you notice an unpleasant smell coming from your drains or plumbing fixtures, you should call Mr. Rooter Plumbing as soon as possible to avoid anyone getting sick.
- Water Backups or Backed-Up Floor Drain: A backup of water in your floor drain, sinks, toilets, or other plumbing fixtures can be a messy and unpleasant situation, as it can cause water damage and potential health hazards.
- Gurgling Sounds: If you hear gurgling sounds coming from any drains or toilets, it could signal a bigger problem. When this happens, it’s because the air in the pipes is trapped behind the blockage, which causes the gurgling sound.
If you notice any of these signs, it's important to address the issue as soon as possible to prevent further damage and ensure the safety of those in the building. At Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Brampton, we offer 24/7 emergency services to address sewer backups and other plumbing issues. Contact us today for fast and reliable service.
The Mr. Rooter Plumbing Difference
Mr. Rooter Plumbing only hires licensed, certified plumbers who bring many years of experience maintaining and repairing plumbing systems on-site, including solving emergency plumbing situations requiring them to think outside the box and develop fast solutions to help property owners stay safe.
We have been around since 1970 and, since then, proudly joined Neighbourly’s top home service franchises to serve our local communities across North America. Each Mr. Rooter Plumbing location is a locally owned and operated full-service plumbing company, providing high-quality workmanship, parts, and excellent customer service.
We care about our customers’ safety and well-being, which is why we’re available 24/7 to help tackle any plumbing disasters that disrupt your balance.
Our Reliable Plumbing Services
Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Brampton offers a wide range of plumbing services to keep your home or business running smoothly.
- Drain Cleaning: Our team can help clear any clogs or blockages in your drains, ensuring that your plumbing fixtures are working as they should. We use state-of-the-art equipment to thoroughly clean your drains to get them flowing smoothly again.
- Hydro Jetting: We offer hydro scrub jetting services for tougher clogs and blockages. This involves using high-pressure water to clear out even the most stubborn debris and clogs from your pipes.
- Trenchless Pipe Repair: If you have damaged pipes, we offer trenchless pipe repair options, such as pipe lining, pipe bursting, and cured-in-place pipe, that minimize damage to your property. This allows us to fix your pipes quickly and efficiently without digging up your yard or disrupting your business.
- Hydraulic Replacement: In some cases, pipes may need to be replaced entirely. We offer hydraulic replacement services to ensure that your pipes are correctly installed and functioning as they should be.
- Sewer Line Repair & Replacement: If you're experiencing backups or other issues with your sewer line, our team can help. We offer various plumbing services to keep your system operating optimally.
At Mr. Rooter Plumbing, we are committed to providing high-quality plumbing services to our customers. Our team of skilled professionals are available 24/7 to address any plumbing issues you may have. Contact us today to schedule an appointment or learn more.
Frequently Asked Questions About Sewer Backups
Who Is Responsible For Sewage Drains On My Property?
Homeowners are responsible for their private sewer laterals buried under their properties. As long as the wastewater makes it to the main city sewer in the street, you won’t have to worry about the rest. That said, the municipal sewer is not always perfect, so they may not always be prepared for unforeseen circumstances. For example, during heavy rainfall, the storm sewer undergoes a huge level of stress. If a clog occurs and wastewater fails to flow, it will get pushed back to your property and cause a sewer backup.
Brampton homeowners are recommended to check with their home insurance company about sewer backup coverage. They may cover some water damage but often do not cover the restoration process.
How Do I Unclog My Sewer Line Without a Cleanout?
The only professional way to unclog your main line is to hire a certified plumber. This way, you’ll get peace of mind knowing that an expert will bring professional tools to complete a detailed diagnostic review and complete the job in a timely manner. Each main line should have a cleanout to give plumbing technicians access, but we do not recommend that you unclog your drain pipe yourself.
For regular maintenance, run hot water for about five minutes to see if that clears any nearby clogs. Often, this helps loosen small clogs in your main drain as well. But to prevent a future sewer backup, Brampton, ON property owners need a skilled plumber to take the necessary precautions.
How Do I Prevent a Sewer Backup?
As experienced plumbers who have seen it all, we always encourage our local communities to take preventative measures, such as booking maintenance, along with plumbing diagnosis and inspection services, to detect plumbing issues early before they lead to catastrophes and costly repairs.
Here’s a list of recommendations that we highly urge our customers to consider:
- Regular maintenance, such as drain cleaning and sewer cleaning
- Sump pump installation
- Backwater valve installation
- Basement waterproofing
- Foundation crack repairs
- French drain inspection
- Adhere to safe household practices, such as not flushing down hair, feminine products, paper towels, fats, oils, and grease
Need Reliable Sewer Backup Services in Brampton, ON?
Dealing with any plumbing concerns can be a stressful experience for any homeowner or business owner in Brampton, Ontario. However, relying on Mr. Rooter Plumbing's technicians to provide you with expert and reliable services, you can rest assured that any issues will be resolved quickly.
Our licensed and experienced plumbers are equipped with the latest technology and equipment, providing you with top-quality services to get your sewer backup cleared and cleaned up in no time. Contact our friendly customer service team to schedule your appointment or get emergency plumbing services for your sewer backup!
Let Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Brampton deal with your sewer backup and see how our protective plumbing services can protect you and your property today.